Monday 30 November 2009

Going too far

I'm not the biggest fan of cyclists. When I go out on the bike, I try pretty hard to hug the curb and stay out of cars' way. Petrol taxes pay for the roads and cyclists are free riders; hugging the curb is my way of thanking the cars for their contribution when I'm free-riding.

But this is ridiculous.
Charles Alexander Diez, the former North Carolina firefighter who shot cyclist Alan Simons in the head, has been sentenced to four months in jail.

In an Asheville courtroom last week, Diez pled guilty to shooting Simons during a July 26 roadside confrontation. Said to be upset that Simons was riding his bike with his 3-year-old child, Diez fired his .38 caliber pistol as Simons walked away after the two exchanged words. The bullet struck Simons' bike helmet, narrowly missing his skull.
As much as cyclists irritate me, declaring open season on them seems a bit excessive.

No comments:

Post a Comment